How to Eliminate Bacteria from your Feet
Bacteria needs water to grow. It likes a warm moist environment and is found where moisture can accumulate. It loves to live in saunas, and that’s what your shoes become when they are warm and moist all day. Below are a few ideas to eliminate bacteria from your feet.
- Wash your shoes regularly in a standard washing machine, using cold water, and at least a 12 minute minimum wash cycle, with laundry detergent. This can eliminate almost 99% of bacteria.
- Air dry your shoes for at least 24 hours
- Spray your shoes with a disinfectant after washing
- Purchase ultraviolet inserts for your shoes. Ultraviolet light kills 99.9% of bacteria. There are various brands for shoes.
- Soak your feet 1-2 times per day in a water and baking soda bath. After thoroughly drying your feet with a towel, be sure to allow them to air dry completely.
- Change your shoes every day. Take them off during the day to let them air dry when your feet become warm and moist.
- Antibiotic therapy may also be recommended.
Click here to schedule an appointment to see an Aspen Podiatrist if you continue to have foot issues.